Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Oscar Nominations are in!!!

Well, the day is finally here! I made sure to get up early enough to daven at a earlier minyan so that I could catch the Live announcements of the Oscar Nominations at 8:30 this morning. Let's go through each category and discuss:

Best Picture

Nominees: "The Hurt Locker," "Up in the Air," "Up," "District 9," "An Education," "Precious," "Inglorious Basterds," "A Serious Man," "The Blind Side," "Avatar."

I've only seen 7 out of 10 of these pictures, but will hopefully watch "A Serious Man," "District 9," and "An Education," by the week's end. However, I don't think it will change my mind. I have always said that The Hurt Locker was the greatest film of the year. The only real competition I see is Avatar. But regarding Avatar, when you get past the cool effects and creatures, the story itself leaves alot to be desired. The Hurt Locker is a thrilling, intense, captivating window into the lives and jobs of a Bomb Squad in Iraq. It was incredible. See it. The big surprise in this category was the inclusion of The Blind Side. The movie was good, but was not better than any other "feel good movie" like Remember the Titans, or The Great Debaters. Altough enjoyable, it was the same movie you've seen 100 times before. I also felt that Basterds didnt live up to the greatness of past Tarantino films, although Christoph Waltz's performance saved the movie, but more on the later. Precious was an acting powerhouse, but won't beat out Avatar or Locker. Let me just say a few words about this new 10 nominee business. It is ridiculous. It completely devalues the nomination. Sure it's amazing that UP has become the second ever animated movie to be nominated for Best Picture, but it would have been alot more impressive had it been nominated in a 5 nominee category, much like Beauty and the Beast managed to do in 1992. Please Academy, switch back to the old.

Final Prediction: I wouldn't be surprised if The Hurt Locker pulled out a big win on the big night.

Best Actor

Nominees: Jeff Bridges, "Crazy Heart," George Clooney, "Up in the Air," Jeremy Renner, "The Hurt Locker," Colin Firth, "A Single Man," Morgan Freeman, "Invictus."

See, this is why a 5 nominee category is amazing. Even with only 5 spots, Renner managed to pull a surprising, but incredible nomination. A virtual uknown, Renner should be super proud to be included in a categoruy that included huge names like "Clooney," and "Freeman." I am super excited for Renner. He put on a great performance. I've only otherwise seen Clooney and Freeman's performance. I hate George Clooney. I think he has no range. He is the same in every movie he is in. I think Freeman was awful in Invictus, and his terrible accent in the movie really made me upset. I haven't seen Crazy Heart, but it just looks like last year's "The Wrestler," with a guitarist in place of the wrestler. It doesn't look special, but I can't honestly say until I see it.

Final Prediction: Bridges has won every major award, so I expect him to take it, but I am crossing my fingers for an upset by Renner.

Stay tuned for my opinions on the other categories...

No comments:

Post a Comment